Burlington Chiefs confident youth can step in and replenish offensive production

It’s the great challenge of Junior A lacrosse. And its great curse. The loss of players to graduation is an issue every team faces, some losses greater than others. And as the Burlington Chiefs prepare for their 2014 opener on Friday, they’re confident they can find new scorers to replace the departed sticks of Jacob Ruest (38 goals) and Patrick Corbett (24), who combined for 62 goals last summer. “You don’t just replace guys like Jacob and Pat,” GM Mark Baldini told InsideHalton.com. “But collectively, as a group, we have more than enough. We have a lot of guys ready to step up.” Danny Lomas, who was second on the team with 36 goals, leads a pack of returning forwards who provided steady secondary scoring last summer but will be counted on for more in 2014. The back end is in good shape with defenseman and team captain Derek Searle, named Ontario’s top Junior A defender in 2012, while Doug Buchan and Tyler Sullivan are back in goal. “We’re excited,” Baldini said of the team that finished 14-5-1 last summer. “We intend to not only duplicate last year’s success, but move forward.”

Chavez is an avid lacrosse player in Rochester and a journalist for the Democrat and Chronicle as well as a longtime Inside Lacrosse contributor. Email him at bob.chavez@nllinsider.com or go to RochesterSports.com.

Rate This Story:

Vote This Post DownVote This Post Up (+4 rating, 4 votes)
Loading ... Loading ...