It was a busy weekend of announcements for the Calgary Roughnecks, who announced the signing of several key defensive players. The Riggers also announced the signing of veteran forward Kaleb Toth, whose future with the team had been the subject of speculation. The franchise leader in games (160), goals (274), assists (354), points (628) and loose balls (568) signed a 1-year contract. Toth told ILIndoor in October that he wasn’t sure what Calgary’s plans were, but he’d be ready to compete in training camp. That’s pretty much the attitude he’s going to need, along with everyone else, because team captain Andrew McBride told the Calgary Herald that the outlook in Calgary this year will be different. “I think it’s about protecting our home floor. In previous years, we’ve been real gritty — teams know it’s going to be a physical battle. We’re going to get back to that style, ‘You’re coming into Calgary, you’re going to be bleeding on the rug.’ Sure, we might take a penalty or two more, but those kind of pay off.”
Signing a contract for his 13th season with the Roughnecks does not guarantee a roster spot for Toth, but it does show that the Riggers believe the forward remains a valuable piece of the puzzle as rosters take shape during training camp.
Also on Saturday, Calgary announced the signing of 2012 draft pick Jackson Decker along with free agents Matt Lyons, Andrew Murphy and Aaron Tackaberry. Decker was the team’s second-round draft pick in September, No. 17 overall.
And before that news release, the Riggers announced the signings of Mike Carnegie, Scott Carnegie, Jon Harnett, Curtis Manning and Peter McFetridge. That’s a big core of a defensive unit that consistently is one of the best in the NLL.
All of the contracts signed are for 1 season.Chavez is an avid lacrosse player in Rochester and a journalist for the Democrat and Chronicle as well as a longtime Inside Lacrosse contributor. Email him at email@example.com or go to RochesterSports.com.
Rate This Story: