There is big change afoot with the fledgling North American Lacrosse League, but Commissioner Anthony Caruso has told IL Indoor that the league is going forward with a modified schedule that will still be starting in January. The league will not be postponed until September as reports had suggested. Kentucky and Wilkes-Barre are prepared to start the season as scheduled. The Boston-area expansion team that was announced recently will form a roster and will be involved in games as early as this month, but still plans to officially enter the league in January 2013.
Caruso says that sources released unauthorized and inaccurate information about the league being postponed. He says that NALL executives held an emergency meeting today and the league will be going ahead with a schedule beginning in about three weeks. Details are not available yet because things are still being sorted out, but another meeting will be held Wednesday and more information is expected to be known then.
Kentucky Stickhorses owner Tony Chase says his team is still preparing for their Black and White intra-squad scrimmage to introduce the players to local fans next Saturday, January 7. Chase also says they are full speed ahead for their home opener January 21. “The NALL is alive and well, we’re moving forward with January dates,” Chase says. “The bottom line for us is we’re organized, we’ve got several teams in place and we’ve got a couple of teams that for whatever reason—either they’re not ready to play or they have a different agenda—that they’ve postponed their season till August. But they’re not authorized not are they organized as the NALL. If those teams choose to do so they’re going to do so under some other auspices than the NALL.”
Aaron Musselman is one of the owners of Wilkes-Barre and according to the league is now the spokesman for the team. He was unavailable for comment today. Former NLL Commissioner Jim Jennings had been the primary spokesman for the team and his company, Waterbucket Media, had been the media relations company for the league but is no longer in that position, according to the league. Jennings was not available for comment today.
The Boston team will be able to put together a roster even though they haven’t been involved in league drafts thus far thanks to the relatively rich box lacrosse talent in the area, says owner Tyler Lowe. Decisions have not yet been made about how players who were drafted to and signed by the Jacksonville, Charlotte and Hershey franchises will be disbursed, but Caruso says they are still considered part of the NALL.
The league says that Hershey did not have an arena deal finalized, so they were going to be suspended anyway until they were able to get that sorted out. The hope was that they would return in 2013.
IL Indoor will continue to follow this breaking story as it develops.Stamp is a TV sports announcer and lacrosse lover whose skill set made him a defender but who always dreamed of being a goal-scorer. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rate This Story: